Purpose of Position
When you’re a writer for an advertising agency, they call you a Copywriter. This position is usually filled by a Business or Communications student with a major or emphasis in Advertising or Marketing. However, some Copywriters have degrees in Creative Writing or English, while others have no relevant degrees to speak of—just raw talent.
Whatever your background, if you’re interested in trying on the title of Copywriter for a few months, Mad Genius can help. We offer paid internships to qualified students with the right mix of skills, either for course credit or the sheer joy of a great learning experience.
As a Copywriting Intern for Mad Genius, you will basically be helping with everything that our gainfully employed Copywriters don’t want to do (or more likely don’t have enough time to do). This might mean tackling some administrative tasks: stuff like conducting research, creating spreadsheets, or taking notes in a meeting. But also you’ll probably get to brainstorm clever and creative headlines for print ads, brochures, outdoor boards, website pages, and other media. You may get to write scripts for television or radio commercials, presentations, or online videos. (And take part in their production.) You may be called upon to craft messages for social media, generate potential names for a new company or product, or even conceptualize an entire marketing program. You may do some of these things, or all of them. Honestly, it kind of depends on what’s going on in the labs during your tenure. That said, you’ll definitely learn how an advertising agency works, how to think creatively, and how to carry a project from A to B all the way to Z.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree (complete or in progress)
Samples of previous writing (whether from coursework or extracurricular)
- A love of social media, clever wordplay, or solving problems
- Proactive, self-starter, self-manager, persistent
- A passion for detail and the pursuit of self and work/career excellence
- Ability to listen to the challenges of clients and coworkers and become part of the solution
- Originality and an ability to think visually
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects without freaking out
- Capable of bringing enthusiasm, curiosity and energy to the office every day
- Willingness to work occasional evening and weekend hours when the bell sounds
This position is for in-house only. Remote candidates will not be considered at this time.
Mad Genius, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.